[at-l] Georgia AT extension?

I seem to have heard of an extension of the AT that continues South through Georgia.  Does anyone know if it exists, where it goes, and if it connects with the Florida Trail?  I would like to walk from my doorstep in Tallahassee, FL to a point where I've done a section in the Southern end of North Carolina - Standing Indian Mountain.  Is this reasonable at this time of year?  I've grown up in FL, and so am not accustomed to very much cold weather.  I would actually be leaving in the beginning of January.
Eric

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---