[at-l] Welcome

6 Nov 2000 18:36:44 -0500 tyoung@kskcommunications.com writes:
SNIP
> Is there even a list moderator out there?
SNIP

Generally he lays low and lets the group roll.  We are mostly (or at less a
core) of  folk who have know each other for a long time sitting around a
virtual campfire talking about all kinds of stuff.

SNIP
> Next weekend I'm going to try to hike from Stony Mountain to Marys
Rock.
SNIP

You might check out: www.shenandoahfires.com

SNIP
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1.  Reading materials. (Snip)

 "A Walk in the Woods" is a controversial subject.  Lots of good stuff about
thru hiking out there.  However, you sound is if some local where-to-hike
books would be in order  _Hiking Virginia's National Forest_, Circuit Hikes
in Shenandoah National Park_,  and _Circuit hikes in Virginia, West
Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania_  come to mind.  You also might want to
check out http://www.patc.net/

I've retired and moved out of the area so I'll pass or local classes, etc.
Also pass on ultralight hiking, as I usually carry 25 or so lbs (16lb FSO
w/o water & food).  But lots of folk here who can help you.

Welcome to the camp fire, pull up a log, and join the conversation.

If you don't get an answer to your question the first time re-post it -- BTW
a number of members get their messages in a digest form, as a virus
protection and for convenience.  So, there is often a day or so lapse in

Chainsaw

To:            hudsom@us.ibm.com, at-l@backcountry.net