Cc:            "AT-L List (E-mail)" <at-l@backcountry.net>
From:          Ken Bennett <bennettk@wfu.edu>
Date:          Sat, 07 Oct 2000 09:10:41 -0400
Subject:       Re: [at-l] Tuckerizing

> I need to hear suggestions and stories on tuckerizing. I am doing a
> presentation on lightening your pack and need material. I have all the gear
> I need to set up a couple of packs - heavy, medium and light. I will be
> setting them up next week for presentations at the local Florida Trail
> Association meetings the third and fourth weeks of October.

So, Lee, put up some lists and we'll be happy to shred them for you
<grin>.

Seriously, for the heavy pack, just call up the leader of all those Boy
Scouts I see up on the trail in Virginia. Those kids are carrying about
200 percent of their body weight. Wow.

There are two approaches to the 'heavy' way: First, the old-fashioned
heavy, where all your gear weighs a ton. Call it the Be Prepared way:

Big rectangular sleeping bag, preferably with flannel lining.
10 pound A-frame tent.
entrenching tool
jeans, denim shirts, heavy rubber-coated poncho
coleman stove that takes 1-pound propane cartidges
lots of extra propane cartidges <g>
D-cell maglite
etc.

Then there's the heavy way that uses lots of lighter gear, but brings
the entire gear store. Call it the 'REI Way' <g>: (pronounced 'Ray', of
course)

tent and tarp and ground sheet
20-degree synthetic sleeping bag and liner and stuff sack and trash bag
thermarest and patch kit and foam pad
chair kit
candle lantern and minimag lite and spare candles
whisperlite and 32-ounce fuel bottle and repair kit
2 pots and frying pan and lids and bowls and forks, all titanium
2 pound goretex jacket plus windshirt plus goretex pants
enough fleece to stuff an elephant
GPS, 2-way radio, cell phone, palm pilot, digital compass
camelback, spare water bottles, filter, extra cartridge
enough repair kits to fix a downed airplane

Finally, there is the Really Light Way:

Hunting knife
flour, fatback (for frying), salt, sugar
frying pan
bedroll
.32 calibre Kentucky rifle, powder horn, caps, bullets, wads
tinder box (complete)
hat, shirt, pants, boots or moccasins

Hope this helps <grin>.

Ken