[at-l] Trip reports..(longish)

Just to be different, I am going to post not one BUT two trip reports.
Too lazy to post one last week, and still don't feel like hitting the
sack yet so with no further ado...

Trip Report #1, last weekend - Eagles' Nest Wilderness

 Last week, I desperatley needed a solo trip. It was a stressful week at
work (nothing like co-workers who do not do their share of the work), and
I am still getting over a failed relationship.  So I needed my usual cure
to put my head back on straight,  do some thinking, and to relieve some
tension: a weekend backpacking trip.

Drove to the trailhead in Silverthorne, CO about two hours from my home.
The day was cool and cloudy, but it was still outdoors!  Had a moderate
climb to Surprise lake, and then the Cataract lakes.  Walked around the
lakes and saw many wildflowers. Though it is the very tail end of the
wildflower season, the golds and purples were still vibrant.  Sat for a
long time just soaking in the scenery and gazing across the pond.   Yes,
pond!  One thing I have realised about Colorado hiking: what is called a
lake out here would be considered a small pond in Maine. :D   Continued
on to Mirror Lake.  Unlike Cataract lake, no one was around. Had the
place to myself. Pitched my tarp, and had a great view of Mt. Meridian
across the lake.
Later that night, I woke up and saw a nearly full moon behind Mt.
Meridian, reflecing on the lake. Very beautiful. The skies were clear,
and the lake truly became a mirror having the silver light of the moon
upon it.

The followin day, started a climb to the ridge. One I reached the ridge,
my jaw dropped. I was above treeline on the tundra. All I could see was
this grassy tundra on the ridge, with the mountains to ethier side of me.
The trail on this ridge was an  old jeep road.  Walking on a jeep road
proved two things to me: it makes for some easy hiking,  and the damage
done by ORV on this fragile terrain can last a long time.   Took the one
mile side trip to Mt. Meridian. Only 500' in one mile. Easy hiking.
But,oh. what a view from the top. Not just the distant mountains and
valleys, but some honest to goodness mountain goats with two kids!  The
mother goats were getting all fidgety, so I just took some pictures
before they decided to place their horns in an undesirable place..me!

Continued my walk along the ridge, I continued to rejoice in the beauty.
Saw three bald eagles flying above, almost surveying "their" land.  Came
back down to a trail head, made a loop on a FS road and back to a trail,
and headed back to my car. Not too far from my car, bumped into a FS
Ranger. Found out there was fire bank in effect with a $500 if caught.
Ouch!

Reached my car, feeling much better.

Trip Report #2, this weekend

Terry Norton (Ultralite '98) and I get together every so often for a
hike. He has been in this state for 10 years, and is able to help me
further explore Colorado.  This weekend, we did a 14er, but not the one
we planned!
We left Friday evening, found a campsite near a peak whose name I forget.
:O  Well, when we got to the trailhead, it was raining. Since most of the
trail was on a dirt road, and we were not about to go above treeline on a
14er when it was raining, we decided to make alternate plans. Well, not
too far from the trailhead was a ghostown with restored buildings.  The
history buff in me rejoiced! At one point, this ghost town was THE town
in the area, larger than nearby Aspen. Quite cool to see the old jail,
the old hotel that housed the "Soiled Doves" aka prostitutes, the post
office and other buildings.  The day turned sunny as we were exploring
the ghost town.   We decided to make alternate plans, and to make a long
story short ended up in Leadville, CO. This town is at 10150', is the
highest incorporated city in the USA,   and is a "trailtown" (I use the
term very loosely) for the CDT and the Colorado Trail. Another old
Colorado mining town that depends on tourism now for its' livelyhood.
Unlike many Colorado tourist towns,  it has a definite blue collar feel
to it.
Also, nearby is Mt. Elbert, the highest point in Colorado and the second
highest in the lower 48.
Yesterday (Saturday) we did a short hike on the Colorado Trail. Kinda
neat knowing we were headed to Denver (the northern terminus of the CT).

This weekend Leadville was also having its' annual Leadville 100. An
ultra-marathon. Imagine running a marathon at 10000' feet, over old dirt
roads, and over mountain passes. Yowch!  The runners have 30 hours to
complete the 100 miles.  Terry and I talked to the volunteers at one of
the checkpoints and found out some interesting information. The fast
runners manage about 5 MPH, the average runner 4 MPH or less for this
run. So more of a very fast walk.   Which means that endurance atheletes
mainly compete in this event. People  who can hike a steady pace all day
with a full pack for their normal exercise of choice. ;-) (Yes, I was
doing the math in my head...who knows what can happen in the next couple
of years. :D)

This morning, we rose early and hit the trailhead for Mt. Elbert.  The
route we chose was  a 4,400 feet gain in 4 miles. Makes for a fun climb.
Ahem!  Once above treeline I swore I was in the Whites. Unlike many
trails in Colorado, there were NO switchbacks. The trail was rocky,
and....it started snowing!   The snow squall was brief.  We then made a
steep climb to a false summit, then another climb to...another false
summit! After the second false summit, there is a brief and thankfully
gradual climb to the top.   So there I was,  out of breath from the thin
air, the speedy climb up a steep trail (4 miles in two hours up this
mountain ain't too shabby), but was amazed at the view.  I was on the
roof of Colorado, and the second highest point of the lower 48, and at
14433 feet. .  We made it back to the car by 12 pm. Not a bad Sunday.

Life is good when the mountains are in your backyard. ;-)

Mags

The true harvest of my life is intangible... a little star-dust caught, a
 segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
-- -Thoreau
multipart/alternative
  text/html
---