Re: [at-l] Trip reports..(longish)

From: Paul A Magnanti <pmags@juno.com>
> Yesterday (Saturday) we did a short hike on the Colorado Trail. Kinda
> neat knowing we were headed to Denver (the northern terminus of the CT).

I must admit that we impersonated CT thruhikers when signing the trail
register at the trailhead.  It felt good to have write a destination in that
was more than a day away!

> Terry and I talked to the volunteers at one of
> the checkpoints and found out some interesting information. The fast
> runners manage about 5 MPH, the average runner 4 MPH or less for this
> run. So more of a very fast walk.
FYI:  The fastest time was just under 18 hours.  Third place was 2 hours
later.  Amanda McIntosh from TX was the first woman finisher with a time of
22hrs, 16 minutes.  Only 24 people finished in 24 hours or less.  We saw the
first ~25 runners coming through the checkpoint at 70 miles.  These were the
ones "having fun."  Out of the 407 starters, only 175 finished in the
alotted 30 hour time frame.

> Yes, I was
> doing the math in my head...who knows what can happen in the next couple
> of years. :D)

Watch out for Paul in 2002!!!  He had that odd look in his eyes.

> Once above treeline I swore I was in the Whites.
No parking fees in Colorado!!!

I did have the pleasure of introducing Paul to the "backbone of the
continent."  The Sawatch range which runs through central Colorado boasts 15
fourteen thousand foot peaks.

Finally, Paul forgot to mention the all important ice cream stop a K's Dairy
Delight in Buena Vista when we took the long route home.

Cheers,
Terry Norton
Ultralite'98
MEGA'01