[at-l] Man Trapped in Outhouse for Three Days

Man Trapped in Outhouse for Three Days
Rescued from Collapsed Structure by Mail Carrier
Aug. 18, 2000

IVANHOE, Va. (AP) -- For three days, Coolidge Winesett sat mired in the
five-foot hole of a partially collapsed outhouse, alternately yelling for
help and trying to cope with the stench.

"I tell you what, it was hard to get one breath down there," Winesett, 75,
said Wednesday, a day after being rescued by a mail carrier who noticed that
Winesett's deliveries were still in the box and went looking for him.

Jimmy Jackson, the mail carrier, found no sign of Winesett at his house or
car. But Jackson spotted Winesett's crutch propped beside the outhouse.

"The closer I got, I heard a faint sound like somebody trying to holler,"
Jackson said.

'Down it went'

Winesett, who is partially paralyzed from a stroke and lives alone, fell
Saturday when the outhouse floor and part of a wall gave way.

"Down it went and took me with it," he said. "I thought it was an earthquake.
Then I realized where I was at. ...I done a lot of hollering, but nobody
couldn't hear me."

The collapsed floor save Winesett from being dunked in the deepest sludge