Re: [at-l] Backpack and airplanes

In a message dated 8/3/2000 6:35:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
MHOLMES@NETVA.COM writes:

<< Anyone have a useful suggestion on sending a backpack via the airlines? >>

I carry my 3200 ci pack on, but have checked it when I had other stuff to
bring. Big duffel bag works best with the pack inside a garbage bag inside a
duffel. If you will have a place to store a blanket, I also suggest wrapping
the whole thing in a blanket before placing in the duffel - kind of like a
burrito- seems to help the buckles, etc with a bit extra padding.

Last time I had to take two packs, I packed the little pack in the big pack
and then put them both into the duffle empty and put all the rest of the
"stuff" in after it.  It condensed smaller than the two packs filled.

Be sure to label everything, inside and out! Over and over and over.  And
bring a good description of the duffel.  "A big black duffle" doesn't help
when it goes to the land of lost luggage - trust me on this.  I often wrap a
patterned web belt of something around the outside - very easy to describe
and easy to identify.

POG
"She of many flights and much lost luggage"