Re: [at-l] Question on Direction

I think you need to focus your question a little in order for the list to
make meaningful comments.  What is meant by late summer or early fall? To
give some idea of what kind of heat you are normally experiencing it would
be nice to know where you live, at least the state. I am from AL and
although I thought we had some pretty hot days on the trail, I also remember
that on one of those "hot" days I was in Kent, CT eating ice-cream, sitting
in the sun. First Pilgrim was walking with me doing a section hike and I
mentioned to him that ice-cream or not, if we were home in AL we sure
wouldn't be sitting in the sun. He agreed. I don't like to hike when it is
hot but like the trail it is often a matter of perspective. Right off hand I
can't remember a single night when it was too hot to sleep. I expect a nobo
in VA would have a different experience.

Other than that, all I can say is that south vs. north is IMHO two different
hikes, especially if you start early. I talked to nobos who had only 1 or 2
nights in which they were at a shelter or camping area and were alone.
Compared to the 50 or so nights I spent alone in shelters and camping at
designated sites or shelters and you have the makings of a different
experience. sobo vs. nobo is like running with a small pack instead of a big
herd.

You give no indication of your level of experience but unless you plan to go
pretty fast the weather will catch you. The first snow we had was about
10/25 and the temperature was  well below freezing.  If you start in the
fall in ME then you can bet you will have some cold days. Consider also that
for the sobo who arrives in VA in say October, the available daylight
becomes an issue. I can remember in central VA that the sun wasn't up till
pretty late. It was 7:30 or close to it until it was light enough to see.
And the days were getting shorter. Pretty soon it was dark when I stopped
and dark when I got up. I still made the miles I wanted but I sure didn't
spend any time in the middle of the day watching the deer play as I had
earlier in the hike.

Not sure all this helps but I enjoyed remembering it.

southwalker99@alltel.net
ME-GA '99
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed, style or
finesse. There are only those that do the hike and those that don't.