Re: [at-l] Question on Direction

Southwalker wrote>>>
<<I think you need to focus your question a little in order for the list
to make meaningful comments.>>

<<"What is meant by late summer or early fall?">>

Well... I was just kickin the idea around, but I'd have to say something
like middle to late July.

<<"To give some idea of what kind of heat you are normally experiencing
it would be nice to know where you live, at least the state.">>

I live in Maryland, where the state gets really narrow, just west of
Hagerstown.

<<" I don't like to hike when it is hot but like the trail it is often a
matter of perspective.">>

Yes, I agree and understand this.

<<"Other than that, all I can say is that south vs. north is IMHO two
different hikes, especially if you start early. I talked to nobos who
had only 1 or 2 nights in which they were at a shelter or camping area
and were alone. Compared to the 50 or so nights I spent alone in
shelters and camping at designated sites or shelters and you have the
makings of a different experience. sobo vs. nobo is like running with a
small pack instead of a big herd.">>

Well, running is out of the question but, I get your meaning. First off
I find company in myself, I'm not really a loner(can't be w/a wife and 3
young girls!), but differently don't like large groups. I find that
sometimes, fewer great friends are better then a bunch of good people.
And I sleep better alone, just ask my wife, who I kick out of bed often
for, Breathing Heavy! ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

<<"You give no indication of your level of experience but unless you
plan to go pretty fast the weather will catch you. The first snow we had
was about 10/25 and the temperature was well below freezing. If you
start in the fall in ME then you can bet you will have some cold
days.">>

I don't have great experience, but not what-cha would call a rookie.
Most of the backpacking that I've done has been in this area(MD), but
I've spent alot of time, (fall and winter) outside hunting. Maybe I
should say ALL fall and winter(ask the wife!:^) I LOVE the fall and
winter weather, much better then the summer heat. Although the cold does
get to me at times, mostly setting still on a deer stand in Jan.

<<"Consider also that for the sobo who arrives in VA in say October, the
available daylight becomes an issue. I can remember in central VA that
the sun wasn't up till pretty late. It was 7:30 or close to it until it
was light enough to see. And the days were getting shorter. Pretty soon
it was dark when I stopped and dark when I got up. I still made the
miles I wanted but I sure didn't spend any time in the middle of the day
watching the deer play as I had earlier in the hike.">>

Thanks for bringing that up, hadn't thought of that.

<"Not sure all this helps but I enjoyed remembering it.">

Glad I could bring back those great memories!

Good Hiking,
FurTrappers
http://www.geocities.com/furtrappers/at.html

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within
it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound
together. All things connect.
Chief Seattle-