Re: Trail kids' meals was RE: [at-l] Gear List- food

>Whoa. This was supposed to be a quickie.
>Coosa, you're doing the right thing, your meals look yummy, and you're
giving
>your grandson quite a gift, although the full measure may not be known for
>many years.
>
>You can do anything with kids,
>if you just make it play.
>
>=====
>Sloetoe

Sloethefamoustoe,

I prolly bit off more than the kid could chew, but the Treat is the Ponies.
He's interested in seeing them.  I have a kite and a glider and a frisbee
for him to play with.  We can play if it's raining.  We'll basecamp and do
day hikes and go as far as he wants and play.  Heck, I want to play on the
rocks -- my main concern is his being able to make it to the Thomas Knob
shelter -- physically and mentally.  (and my remembering to warn him about
snakes)

I'm letting him decide on the candy bars we'll eat, and I'll pack twice as
many as we need, since HE will be carrying them, the weight will prolly be
lighter (<grin>) in his pack than in mine, anyway.

I've made him some lined paper for his first "AT" journal.  (need to find a
scanner so I can get them online in original form).  he's got a disposable
camera.  I've got a paperback book for him to read or me to read with him.
I'm buying him an AT teeshirt so he'll be "one of us"  and he even has a
trail name already "Frog" and I found a wristband with the initials.  He's
got his own very small fanny pack (barely hold lunch) and he'll have a
waterbottle holder and bottle (but we're using the platybladder while hiking
in and out).  And I got him his own knife (with scissors) and whistle and
lipbalm.   And his own lighter.

Mealwise: I do know that he loves bean burritos, so that meal will be a hit.
And I think that he'll be happy with the meals -- since I did separate the
ramen from the mashed potato dinner, he may end up eating both and being
happy to do so.  Hey, a good reason for him to use his lighter to heat up
water, huh?   Learn to pour it in the baggie (in a Ziploc Bowl) without
spilling.

So, even with my enormous doubts, I think I have a better than even chance
of him having a pretty good time.

Thanks for everyone's input and help,
Coosa