[at-l] Pittsburgh in New England #3...

After two days of hiking, the second day being cold and wet, I opted to not
hike on Monday.  Skyline, the un-named hiker, hiked without me from Mill
Road to VT 9.  He wore a fully laden pack in preparation for a two day
backpack.  On Tuesday and Wednesday, Skyline hiked for two days from VT 9 to
Kelley Stand Road.  I had hiked this section in 1997, and again opted out.
I spent my time seeking out side trails to eliminate the two day backpack
(no success), getting a few repairs done to the van, going to the movies,
talking with hikers...

*** FLASH *** - Mr Clean sauntered out of the woods at Kelley Road on
Wednesday.  He had heard that there was a bearded fellow with a blue van at
the road crossing, so he thought it might be me.  We had met last year near
Andover Maine - he was doing shuttles for Honey and Bear from the Cabin
hostel.  Mr Clean indicates that he is having a spectacular time, and is
hiking very very slowly on purpose.  He has very tentative plans of reaching
Springer at Christmas time, making his hike a full year...

Today (Thursday) is a day off for both Skyline and me.  We are moving our
base of operations from Williamstown MA to North Clarendon VT.  We will
shuttle ourselves for the next seven days from there.  We should be just
north of VT 12 (Woodstock) at that time.  I hope to hike all seven days -
we'll see...

Beavis of '97 is the caretaker at the new shelter at Stratton Pond.  He is
most remembered for hiking with a full size cardboard cutout of Cathy
Ireland...

pittsburgh