RE: [at-l] Lyme Disease

Just wanted to put in my two cents worth to clear up a couple of things and
correct a statement that is absolutely untrue:

Not to scare anyone, but transmission of Lyme is most certainly NOT limited
to the deer tick.  Cases of Erythema Chronicum Migrans and Lyme have
occurred, including here in the Hoosier state, via bites from the Lone Star
Tick (common in extreme southern Indiana), and it is suggested that the
Black-Legged Tick may well be a vector as well.  Bottom line in my practice:
I never base a decision to treat / not treat on the reported species of
tick.  If you have skin changes at or around the site of ANY tick bite, see
a physician ASAP!

Re: RMSF - As I recall, the highest incidence of Rocky Mountain Spotted
Fever (primary vector is the common dog tick) is in the eastern US,
including the Appalachians.  The name no longer does the disease justice,
but is of historical interest.

Steve