Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

I had replied to this privately, but I'm curious if any one knows the trails conditions in the area - SW Virginia - has there been rain?  Is it hot?  What's is it like down there right now?
=

Actually, we're leaving on Sat for our first trek on the AT.  Due to time restraints and what goals we have for this vacation, this is our relaxing trip - all days are only about 10 miles, and we broke the vacation up into 3 parts so we could get the best of what the wilderness has to offer us.

Part 1 - Sat we're going to drive down to Damascus and spend the afternoon in this town that I've heard sooo much about.  Sun we are going to set out start first thing in the morning starting at Elk Garden and going north to just beyond the Grayson Highlands.  If possible, we may do a horseback ride that evening.  Mon we will head up to just north of the Fox Creek Trailhead.  and Tues we will end Part 1 of the trip with lunch at Comers Creek Cascade and finish at Dickey Gap.  Then car shuttles, heading north to the Blacksburg Ranger District.

Part 2 - Wed we will get an early start around Lickskillet Hollow and head north to the base of Sugar Run Mountain.  Thursday, we'll head up and stay around the Doc's Knob Shelter, and Friday we'll head back down the mountain into Pearisburg.  Then, because we're going to lose one of out hikers (has to do the school thing), we're going to head north again to the Cranberry Wilderness in the Monongahela National Forest.

Part 3 - Sat will be day hikes in the Cranberry Wilderness area, then Dave has to head back to Pittsburgh.  Fred and I will continue to hike/backpack in the Mon Forest - be it Cranberry, Otter Creek, or Dolly Sods - to be determined at the time, based on how we feel.

From what I can tell, the water situation should be fine, with only a possible problem at the top of Sugar Run Mountain.  As long as the spring there has water, though, we should be fine.  All of our proposed camping spots are around streams or springs.  Is anyone familiar with the conditions in these areas?  And have we chosen a scenic trip?