Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

Ditto what they said! You will have to stay in shelters unless you go to
campsites off the AT. You are required to have an itinerary and unless you
are a through hiker, starting at least 50 miles outside the park. If you
are a thru hiker, you essentially can keep your plan on the AT, and perhaps
camp in a tent should the shelter be full.

You have a very leisurely pace, which I like. The shelters are placed where
the water is, hence be prepared to get water any opportunity. You have a
long uphill to Newfound Gap - actually to Charlies Bunion. After that you
have a relatively wilderness compared to further south. You might want to
take a day trip into Gatlingburg (avoid Cherokee, it is just too sad) to
resupply. Expect bugs and sunburn. Expect the weather to change. When will
you post your pack list?

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA