[at-l] kinda trail related

i have been trying to do anything outdoorsy and lots of exercise recently
for my hike in july...   now i tried to go biking yesterday on a bikgin
trail but i had two problems with my bike..  the tires are not holding air
that well and the brakes do not work....  the tires i think just need new
tube they are getting old.

can anyone help me with this break problem offlist.  they do not move enough
to work right and they squeal like mad (i think they are a bit out of
alignment and that is causeing the sqeal am am about to look into that but
as for not moving i dont knwo why they have such littel movement. the cable
might be set up wrong or the brake pull might be messed up. i want to not
spend any money on this old semi good bike if possible.  but anythgin under
50 dollars would be ok to spend on it.)

thanks to anyone that can help

Wisperlight the Polar Bear