Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

--- JoelShiver@aol.com wrote:To that end, I've developed this proposed
> itenerary:
> Saturday, 7/1 Fontana Dam to Birch Spring Shelter 4.6 mi
> Sunday, 7/2 Birch Spring Shelter to Russell Field Shelter 7.1 mi
> Monday, 7/3 Russell Field Shelter to Derrick Knob Shelter 9.1 mi
> Tuesday, 7/4 Derrick Knob Shelter to Double Spring Gap Shelter 7.2 mi
> Wednesday, 7/5 Double Spring Gap Shelter to Mt. Collins Shelter 6.8 mi
> Thursday, 7/6 Mt. Collins Shelter to Icewater Spring Shelter 7.8 mi
> Friday, 7/7 Icewater Spring Shelter to Peck's Corner Shelter 7.4 mi
> Saturday, 7/8 Peck's Corner Shelter to Tricorner Knob Shelter 5.7 mi
> Sunday, 7/9 Tricorner Knob Shelter to Cosby Knob Shelter 7.2 mi
> Monday 7/10 Cosby Knob Shelter to Davenport Gap Shelter 7.1

In addition to Tom Fort's observations, and if you haven't already cleared
it, item number one is to call the Smokies backcountry reservation office and
see if your desired itinerary will work. Have backup's in mind when you call;
you're within 30 days of start, so you can at least call, but you're also
aiming at that July 4 weekend...

And Fontana-->Newfound is regarded as tougher than Newfound-->Davenport....

Good luck!

=====
Sloetoe

   "I strive to be the man my children think I am."