Re: [at-l] Dehydration Questions for 'The Doc-In-The-House'

Well, the basic idea is to get fluids on board. There is a bit much over
done about Gatorade and similar rehydration supplements, as what your body
is thirsting for is water (duh).

There can be room for electrolyte solutions, but remember that potassium
(K) is a primary loss in sweat and urine. You need both, but in renal
failure, elevated potassium levels can be deadly. Low sodium (Na) levels
usually only occur in those who binge drink water or have a rare
abnormality that tricks the kidneys into expecting to be in a desert while
over-hydrating. Low potassium frequently results in the cramping and
weakness many hikers have at the end of the day, although calcium can also
be involved.

You instructor is correct in suggesting that the electrolyte powder be
diluted. If the heat stroke or heat exhausted person has a partial renal
failure, potassium may be high. Your body quickly rids itself of excessive
K by simply vomiting, but also again losing the water that was needed in
the first place. By only using dilute electrolyte solution, you reduce the
risk of further complicating an electrolyte disturbance, and get the water
that is vitally needed.

Basically, water is what you want. Colas are excessively high in
electrolytes, and the carbonation can add to GI events. Tea and Coffee have
some color and caffeine, but sugar can be excessive, and still, water is
what your body is thirsting for. (This would be a good time to remind
readers of the KISS principle). At least we are beyond the old common
wisdom of salt tablets. Also, caffeine is a mild diuretic and gut
stimulant, definitely not what you need if dehydrated.

This fall, watch what teams seem to be sucking down the gatorade and watch
them start have leg cramps in the 4th quarter. The teams that mix water and
gatorade tend to last longer in the heat. Personally, I bring Gatorade
powder and make 2 liters per day, but budget for an additional 6 liters of
plain water while hiking - as a minimum. Remember to wait to add the
Gatorade for 20 minutes or so after the iodine.

OrangeBug