Re: [at-l] Children?

Camping/packing with kids is great.  They are so fascinated with everything
and take the good with the bad in stride.  I introduced all my kids to
camping before they could walk and to backpacking when I got bitten by the
bug many moons ago.  In fact we all did our first pack trip together, their
ages were 8,6, & 5. We hiked 3miles to an overlook in the allegheny Mts. of
Penn.  stayed the night and hiked back out the next day.  They all had a
good time and I have a great memory of my son( the 5 year old)  On the way
out, he ran most of the way down the mt.  At the bottom there he stood
breathless, eyes shining, blond hair all messed up, his pack 1/2 off and
his sleeping bag dragging the ground.  As soon as he sees me he shouts "
can we do it again"?   and we have almost every summer since on one trail
or another.   They are all adults now and have continued to camp, hike and
appreciate the beauty of nature surrounding us.  Jeremy is my only
backpacker, we are going to Kentucky this summer for that yearly trip.
	This summer I plan on taking my 3 y/o grandson on this first pack trip.
He will carry a sm., day pack (the one he uses for pre-school ) with his
supper, toys and maybe a change of clothes in it.  We are going to hike
from my house to the state park campground just over 1 mile. It will be a
easy walk for me down the street, over the river and though the woods
around the lake. One I do at least once a week.  but it will be a grand
adventure for him :D.
	Just remember when hiking with kids keep your expectations small ( like
they are) and take your time.  The future of our parks and trails always
lie with the next generation, teach them early LNT and why, to understand
and appreciate nature and how fragile it can be.  These are lessons that
will last a lifetime.

ATwanabe