Re: [at-l] Waterboy

At the risk of losing my at-l lurking record of not posting for over 1000 days
(and faithfully reading every message), the post yesterday by Felix about
Schuyler "Waterboy" Stultz made me recall the first month I was on the list
in May/June 1997 when Jan "Tag-along" Kerns broke her leg on the trail in
Virginia. After she was rescued and left her pack on the trail, Schuyler
responded to a request on at-l and retrieved her stuff. I thought at the
time that this would make a great story for ATC/ATN and showed what a great
community spirit there was on at-l. The most memorable post from at-l that
I have saved is from this episode:

>> Wow, Shuyler!  I'm really impressed!  It is absolutely amazing to me that
>> my (read Jan's) call for help was successfully answered. I guess this list
>> really is a community of interests after all.  Did you find her boots and
>> hiking stick?

>Yep.  Her boots were in her pack and her stick was propped up beside the
>pack.  I was telling some people about the weekend and they had this most
>astonished look on their faces.  "First you went 5 miles into the woods
>to help someone you've never met?  Then you invited 2 more people that you've
>never laid eyes on into you're home for the night?  Are you nuts?"
>
>"No, this thing happens all the time in the hiker community."

I think this is what kept me on the list even though at the time I had done
no backpacking. It still amazes me. I will post a bio later....
Dave Hughes
Worthington, OH