[at-l] Paula's thru -- as of Franklin NC

I'm just sending a short note to say I'm in Franklin NC tonite, @ the
Franklin Motel.  I got off trail @ Rock Gap, right near Wallace Gap or
Winding Stair Gap.  I Meant to hike to wallace gap & get off there, but Trail
Angel Smoky Mt Steve was there after hiking down to see the Waslik Poplar and
he offered me a ride to town.  I'm not one to quibble about half a mile, so
got off trail there and am now sitting in a nice warm dry hotel room with
PLUMBING!!!!!

AFter the weather we've had the last 3 days, I hiked a 12 mile day to be able
to come in tonite vs tm.  My biggest day so far, I hiked my feet off.  But,
today was snowing on & off all day and its supposed to be in the low 20's
tonite.  After 2 days & nites straight of major rain thunder, lightning
storms, one could say I had motivation!  I do have to admit that this am,
walking along in yesterdays still wet & frigid cold clothes in the blowing
snow, the thought crossed my mind, I'm wet, I'm cold, I'm hungry, I'm heading
towards one of the worst vertical boulder climbs on the trail and its
snowing... WHY the heck am I so happy I'm humming????

I think I've come down with Thru-Hikeritis.  The worst day on the trail is
better than a day @ the office.  ( Hiker Motto out here )

I'm going thru my pack to see if I have something less offensive smelling to
wear while doing laundry and having dinner.  The folks here @ the hotel say
the restaurant across from the laundrymat is used to hikers in odd clothing
combo,s eating while their clothes sud.  So far all I,ve got is a pair of
shorts, socks, and my rain poncho.  Tm I need to shop for something lite &
small to put in my bounce for these laundry situations.  Its too cold to sit
there in my poncho!

Off to the shower for me.  Got some good stories to tell later...

Cheerio  GA-ME 2000