Re: [at-l] to compass or not to compass?

In a message dated 4/4/00 7:23:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pmags@juno.com
writes:

<< Of course, having a compass and not knowing how to use it, is just plain
bad, too. >>

Strangely enough, another lister at The Place this weekend said that very
same thing.  I won't mention that this was after I admitted that I had one (a
free one tossed to me by Mountainsmith reps at Tdaze last year) but didn't
have a clue as to how to use it.  Okay, maybe I *will* mention it. <g>
Because honestly, I don't see how, if I'm at a shelter and got there late and
forgot which way I came in, knowing where north is will help.  The Trail may
run north to south technically, but realistically it is all over the place.
So, somebody tell me - I have a compass, I wake up in the shelter, there are
two Trails with white blazes leading from the shelter, and I can't remember
which one I came in on - HOW can I figure out the right way to go with a
compass?  Whoever answers this question adequately for me will secure a prize
. . . (Beer? Pepsi? A Calzone at Quinceys? (worked for JPJ <g>)  I am just
really confused still - and never having been a boy(or girl) scout,  it's
really an honest to goodness question :))  (and can I learn it without taking
a class?)

The Redhead