Re: [at-l] Living

In a message dated 03/23/2000 1:40:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hudsom@us.ibm.com writes:

> I would maintain that hiking isn't a hobby, it's a way of life.

Just like writing...writing and hiking, hiking and writing. No wonder so many
literary spirits take to the trail! It's Living with a capital L.

An interesting sidebar to Karen's post: as I traveled through Asia this fall
I discovered that most risk-taking cheap travelers (aka "backpackers,"
European style, as opposed to the tourists in their portable cocoons of
comfort) were artists of one stripe or another. No matter what they did for a
living, they were still prone to waxing poetic, painting pictures with words,
whipping out a sketch pad, pausing to capture colorful patterns in a
photograph. Perhaps all artists NEED to roam, to keep the wellspring of
creativity flowing...

Cheers, Navigator