Re: [at-l] General Information

Nancy,

I would recommend hiking the 30 to 40 miles that are south of Roanoke, VA.
In about a 30 mile stretch you experience Dragons Tooth (a great rock
formation maybe 60 - 80 feet high you can scrample around on), McAfee Knob
(a rock overhang/sheer cliff that is among the more photographed spots on
the AT), and Tinker Cliffs (a 1/2 to 1 mile walk along a sheer cliff with
great rock formations).  Based on what your daily mileage would be, you'd
have plenty of time to linger and enjoy this area.  Snow would be unlikely
at that time of the year.

There are many other beautiful stretches (about all of it, really) in the
southern portion of the AT that wouldn't be subject to an April snow.  The
area around Max Patch Mtn. in NC also comes to mind as well.

Good Luck,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:12:50 -0600 (CST), nanmonnig@earthlink.net wrote:

>  * Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
>  * by our guest Nancy Monnig <nanmonnig@earthlink.net>.
>  * Please use <mailto:nanmonnig@earthlink.net> to reply to the sender.
>
>  Three of my friends and I are planning a 5 day, 4 night trip on the AT in
mid April.  We are all in our late 20's in moderate shape.  We would like to
find a scenic stretch to hike, on an intermediate level.  We all have some
limited backpacking experience.  We would like to hike between 30-35 miles,
but would like to avoid snow.  Are there any spots that you or anyone you
know, would recommend?  Any information would be appretiated.

Visit http://freeworld.excite.com