Re: [at-l] Physical Preparation

In a message dated 2/7/00 12:42:38 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
lwbooher@evansville.net writes:

<< We thought we were prepared the first time, only to find after we'd hiked
 and hiked and hiked  >>

I hiked Georgia last year and I thought I was prepared. I was going on a
slackpack...

I am backpacking this year and am doing this differently. Partly because of a
medical problem, but also partly because of the trail in Georgia. I really
think the only way that you get ready to hike the trail in Georgia is to hike
it. Nothing else will get you ready. Stair Master muscles may never be
used....nothing in Georgia even remotely resembles stairs.....ladders
maybe......but not stairs lolololol.

What we decided to do was tweak for a couple of days. The plan so far is to
start the Approach Trail and do 4.8 miles to Frosty Mtn the first day, 6.5 to
Stover Creek Shelter the next day, etc etc. Figure Neels Gap we can start
hiking for real. First mail drop in Suches. That gives us only 4 days of food
to carry to start with...

I really can't believe I am really going hiking....

      Bpwildness