RE: [at-l] titanium pots

Okay, I have field tested the MSR Titan Kettle. This is my take:

My trail cooking revolves around one central tenet...never cook in your pot.

Cooking in a pot usually means having to scrub said pot, which besides the
trouble of scrubbing usually means more water, which means I have to go get
or carry more water...naah, never mind, I'll cook something which says:

ADD BOILING WATER!

Typically this is anything upon which the affixed label reads "simmer for
ten minutes".

This is where the kettle excels. It takes almost half as long to boil water
in the kettle as it does an open pot (I admit I didn't actually time it, but
it sure seemed faster). I add the water to the dinner in the appropriate
pot, cover and let stand the proper length of time, uncover and eat.
Cleaning usually means lick the pot, pour a small amount of hot water in,
and wipe it out.

The 0.85 liter size is practically perfect because it is almost exactly
enough to prepare the dinner with a splash left over. Come on people, do you
really think MSR made this pot without doing some serious research?

This pot is practically designed with the thru hiker in mind. You need only
the 1 liter pot with lid, the kettle, and a spoon. But heck at what, two
ounces(?) You might as well carry the smaller pot too.

BTW, the handle does NOT get hot unless you are using the wind screen, in
which case, EVERYTHING gets hot.

Lee I Joe

"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow."
                                          -Woodrow Wilson