Re: [at-l] dehydrated food

Ken,
I make jerky the easy way.  Wal-mart, Target and others carry a jerky
curing/seasoning kit made by American Harvester to make jerky out of lean
hamburger meat.  It comes in several different flavors such as Traditional,
Cajun, Pepperoni and few that I can't remember right now.  You can find it
with the dehydrators.  Just add one packet of flavoring and one packet of
cure to 1 lb. of raw ground beef, form into strips,  and dehydrate.  It
really does taste good, and the jerky is a little more tender than that made
from whole muscle meats.  I talked to my butcher and explained to him what I
was doing, and he makes mine with very little fat content on special order.
I also sometimes use ground venison, which has almost no fat content, when I
can get it.  It's lasted up to 6 months with no problems when sealed and
stored in a kitchen cabinet and over a year in the freezer.  Good luck
and...

Good Hiking,
Jim

"Visit my world at  http://www.mindspring.net/~hkrtrash/ "