Re: [at-l] winter clothes

>been out shopping: here's my clothes list for my February 20th-26th section
>hike from Damascus to VA Rt 42 (ideally)
>
>1 x Wool hat
>2 x Lightweight Polypropylene Ankle Length Pants
>2 x Lightweight Polypropylene Crewneck
>2 x Long Sleeve T-shirts - Synthetic
>1 x Hiking Pants
>1 x Wool Sweater
>1 x Winter Parka (Gortex)
>1 x Wool Gloves w/ liners
>3 x Boxers
>1 x Hiking Boots
>3 x Liner Socks/Polypropylene
>3 x Wool Socks
>1 x Gaiters
>1 x Nonbreathable Rain Suit
>
>Thoughts or suggestions on any of these?
>
>Patch

Hi, Patch--

A couple comments--

1. You'll probably just leave one set of long johns on for the entire hike,
if the weather is cold enough. You can change the boxers underneath them
occasionally, if you want. So the second setmay be extra weight, or you may
want to keep them for sleeping, so you have dry clothes to sleep in. In
either case, the long sleeve synthetic t-shirts duplicate the LJ top.

2. I usually carry a very light weight wind shell, an anorak that I got
from LL Bean. It's just supplex nylon, no coating, not at all water proof.
I wear this almost all the time in cooler weather to keep the wind from
cutting through me. This will be a better choice when hiking than the rain
suit (unless it's raining, of course), and will be warmer than a wool
sweater.

3. Have you tried hiking with liner socks? They give me blisters, bad, but
a lot of people love them, so YMMV.

4. I would probably get some sort of rainproof gloves or mitts to go over
my wool gloves when it's raining.

5. I would bring a vest of some sort -- fleece or down -- for use when I
stopped, and when hiking in very cold weather. It's a very useful layer,
and a down (or synthetic fill) vest doesn't take up much room in your pack.

6. Do you have something to cover your neck and ears? (Even if it's just
your parka hood, but a bomber hat or scarf may be better.)

7. Why are you carrying a Goretex Parka *and* a non-breatheable rain suit?
Maybe you can just carry the rain pants along with the GT parka.

Sounds like a great hike. Hope this helps.

Ken