Re: [at-l] stoves

In a message dated 01/28/2000 4:01:55 AM EDT, tdraffen@home.com writes:

<< Looking at buying a stove this year to take in. Looking at the campmor
site i
 find this - Sierra Zip Woodburning Camping Stove .  Anyone have one of
 these? Or
 tried one? Seems nice, no need to carry fuel in with it, of course, depends
on
 dry wood, so thats a minus. Thoughts? Suggestions? Better ideas? >>

I don't have one. I have hike with other who were using them. Some liked it
and some didn't.
Here is what I observed:
They are a dirty cooking stove. A lot of soot on the cooking pan and stove.

Finding dry wood can be a problem if it has been raining.
Collect wood as you hike. Look for small dry/dead limbs that are still on the
tree's. They will be dryer then any you would find on the ground.

I use a MSR, XGK. It will burn almost any liquid fuel.

Wildbill