[at-l] Water quality

While waiting in a doctor's office I picked up the July, 1999 issue of
Outside magazine. It had an article written by Andrew Tilin about a
germologist, Dr. Charles Peter Gerba, and their hike. This article
discusses various germs found in water and elsewhere. The URL for the
online version is:

http://www.outsidemag.com/magazine/0799/9907microbio.html

I did enjoy the following description of one of their rest stops:

"He finally digs out what he's after—bottled water. 'You know, I
should've brought beer,' he says after breaking the seal and taking a
long swig. 'You never hear of an outbreak among people drinking beer.
Parasites swimming in beer will die within 24 hours. Mark my words.'"

Bruce