Re: [at-l] Billing for rescuing idiots. . . .

"stupidity" occurs when a person does NOT prepare for the adventure, and
when warned that his equipment is non-existent or not sufficient continues
on dispite the warnings.   These are the people climbing the waterfalls.  Or
those who proceed on up Mt Washington when they are warned by other hikers
and rangers to return to the base.

HOWEVER:  My local SAR friend, practices on the waterfalls a couple times a
year with the SAR group -- they have harnesses, ropes, and all the
paraphernalia of a "waterfall" climber.  They are prepared and they know
what they're doing.

Ernest Shackleton didn't light out wearing cotton shorts and teeshirt to
cross Antarctica -- he prepared, studied, planned, set his course and
carried the necessary gear and equipment.  It was not stupid that he got
stuck on an ice pack.  One of the things he couldn't control the outcome of
was the weather.

Evil Knievel (and didn't his son do great recently!) studied all the angles
before he made his various attempts to jump cars, canyons, etc.  He didn't
hop on a moped and rev it up and try to fly across the objects.  I saw how
his son checked the direction and strength of the wind, and I'm sure he
learned all that from his Dad.

Those who climb Everest and other high mountians in some countries have to
pay big bucks before they're given a permit -- after paying large sums to
climb up a mountain (or to challenge a mountain), they don't grab their
nylon wind suits and tennies and start running up the trail.  They plan,
sometimes for years and years, buy the best equipment they can find, test
it, etc.  If they pay guides, they pay for the guide's planning expertise,
too.

Is "stupidity" a "right" -- "You have the right to be stupid, however this
right may cost you a rescue fee if you fail to heed warnings and proceed in
an activity which causes you to need to be rescued if that rescue is deemed
reckless and an endangerment to the rescuers who have to rescue you from
your stupidity."

Do I get the thirty points?
Howling Wolf