[at-l] Baxter was at-l-digest/Gatewood

I picked up a pamplet at ATC in November and just now noticed something.

The pamplet is Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiking in Baxter State Park, subtitled
A Thru-Hiker's Guide to Baxter State Park Regulations & Policies.

Subheading of Paragraphs:  IN THE FALL OF THE YEAR HIKERS MUST ARRANGE TO
HIKE KATAHDIN BY OCTOBER 15TH.

"This date coincides with the end of the camping season for all campers,
including A.T. hikers, in Baxter State Park.  Hence, A.T. hikers planning to
combine a fall hike of Katahdin with camping in the Park should plan on
hiking Katahdin by October 15th.  After this date the park is closed to all
camping.  Park Officials emphasize October 15th as the cut-off date for
hiking Katahdin, regardless of your camping plans, because statistics show
that, in this northerly climate, chances are slim you will be able to
successfully finish your Katahdin hike after this date.

Beginning about the third week of September it is not uncommon to have
several Class III or Class IV days (see sidebar on Class days.)*  If you are
advised of a Class IV day by park staff and you choose to hike Katahdin
despite the warnings, you should be aware you may encounter life-threatening
conditions.  During this awkward season, between our summer camping season
and our winter camping season, typical conditions above tree-line, such as
very thin ice, warrant the aid of an ice axe and crampons, but are
insufficient to support the use of such gear.  These conditions make above
tree-line travel treacherous and the subsequent rescues put both the victim
and our volunteer teams and staff at risk unnecessarily.  Furthermore, any
hiker determined negligent in the face of staff advice, may be charged for
costs incurred in a search and rescue attempt.

If you cannot meet the October 15th date for completing your hike of
Katahdin, the best thing to do is to "flip-flop" and hike Katahdin earlier,
finishing up the lower elevation hikes in Maine later.  Another alternative,
although less attractive to most through-hikers, is to save Katahdin for
another year."

* Class Days
Days are classified for hiking suitability as follows:
Class I: Recommended for hiking above tree-line.
Class II: Not recommended for hiking above tree-line.
Class III: Not Recommended for hiking above tree-line; the following trails
are closed:  (inserted is list of trails closed)
Class IV:  All trails above tree-line closed.

This Class Day system is used to:
-Give hikers the benefit of the judgment of our most experienced personnel
regarding suitability of weather/trail conditions for hiking.
-Protect unstable soils, preserving rare alpine habitat.
-Give notice to hikers on days during which conditions indicate the need for
a rescue will be likely, but assistance will be delayed until rescuers can
proceed safely.

Any typos are mine,
Howling Wolf