[pct-l] Butane/Propane

Greetings,

My name is Dana and I am currently living in New Hampshire.  I plan on hiking
the PCT from South to North this coming April.

While butane/propane may be more efficient fuel I believe the heavier canister
offsets any advantage.  While Butane does not require a thick wall canister
propane does.  So the more propane that is in the mix the heavier your fuel
canister will weigh.  Just compare propane canister to a butane cartridge.

I also believe that all canister or cartridge fuels burn much better at the
higher altitudes of Denali and Everest then they would at sea level.  If I
understand the science correctly this is due to the increased internal
pressure when compared with the low external pressure of the extreme high
altitudes.  This usually compensates for poor performance of these stoves in
cold weather.

While I am writing I might as well get into the gear debate.  It is not what
gear you bring or do not bring on a hike that is important.  Many people die
in the mountains who have all the right gear.  But they didn't make the right
decisions.  I believe Judgment with some common sense is the most important
thing to bring with you.  And it doesn't weigh a thing.  Unfortunately, many
hikers (and I am sure I have been guilty of it as well) leave their brains at
home when they go out into the woods on "vacation".  The second most important
to have on a hike is the willingness to turn back when your judgment says you
should.

Happy Trails all, and don't take everything you read on the Internet too
seriously.

dana