[pct-l] Grizzly

>If you see a Grizzle on the PCT please get a picture of it.  I am sure
a Forrest Ranger would love to see your picture because Grizzley's are
suppose to be extinct in the lower 48 except for maybe in Glacier
National Park<

Grizzlies are somewhat more widespread than that. Their densest
population in the lower 48 is in Glacier National Park, but they're also
found throughout much of the western Montana/Idaho rockies, and south
into the Wind River Range of Wyoming. Yes, their numbers in those areas
are far fewer than the park, but they are still there. Then you have the
debate over their existence in southern Colorado's San Juan Mountains
(similar to the eastern cougar debate). Personally I think they're
probably there. Finally there is the Washington presence. The latest
I've heard is that they haven't been seen in the Cascades, but there are
enough signs to indicate perhaps 20 south of the Canadian border. On the
other end of the state, where the rockies poke into the far northeast
corner, a grizzly was shot in mid-september. It was considered to be
from a population seperate from the smaller Cascades one.

wc