Re: [pct-l] 1999 Thruhiker Support; taking water ?

In a message dated 1/14/99 7:05:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, goforth@cio.net
writes:

<< For four months I have been trying to figure out how to get back and forth
to LAX from the trail (near Cajon Pass or Wrightwood possibly - I have a
wedding I can't miss on April 24 in the Bay Area).  I am familiar with the
shuttles from the airport and figured I could take them as far out as
possible, and then somehow hook up with a dial a ride or a bus.  I will
probably still do this, but the very fact that you are out there is
comforting. >>

Joanne,

One other thing to consider is to fly into the Ontario Airport (CA) if the
airlines that fly there suit your purpose. I know that Delta does and probably
many others. It's something to ask your Travel Agent. If you can fly into
Ontario, it's only a few more miles north on I-15 to Cajon Pass.

<< I also was starting to wonder if I was the only one out there without
backup other than the good ole P.O. I have never been brought Food or water on
a trail.  I figured if I saw water on the trail it would be better to leave it
unless I was in dire straits (read dying).  How do you know if it hasn't been
put there for somebody else that is depending on it?  Or if the person behind
you is not in worst shape than you are?  The offering of a single quart of
water in a 20 mile dry stretch is truly a precious gift.  The fact that such a
gift  is given by a stranger, often without actually seeing its acceptance,
makes it even more special. >>

Good Point. For those of us who sometimes leave water at a trailhead for
"anyone," we should mark it for that purpose. Otherwise, someone who needs it
may not take it thinking it was placed there for someone who needs it more.

I suppose another rule of thumb is, "if it's unmarked, it's yours." That's
something else for us all to remember: if you leave water for a specific hiker
friend, be sure and place their name on it or risk losing it to someone who
misunderstands its intended purpose.

If there is a Trailhead log nearby, place make an entry about the water. It
helps us to know if the water was necessary or a luxury in a given year. Your
comment may influence finding water at a specific trailhead in the future.

Along this line of discussion, I understand that the BLM plans to build a
"water box" at the PCT crossing of Kelso Valley Road (the beginning of a "dry
stretch of trail" for northbound hikers). That will be better than the
cardboard storage box we used last year when we left 18 plastic soda and
liquor bottles of water there for hikers (Thanks, Meadow Ed). As requested,
we'll try not to rinse the liquor bottles this year before we fill them with
water. :^)

Charlie Jones