Re: [pct-l] Dehydration, Salt depletion, blisters and swollen feet, loss of appetite

At 08:51 AM 12/20/98 +0000, Margo J. Chisholm wrote:
> I don't know of any way to monitor electrolyte level. Urine
>color is about hydration not electrolytes.

Dehydration is the primary concern. Your body will learn how to regulate
its electrolyte balance as soon as you establish a pattern of activity
(takes about 1-2 weeks). Your sweat will get more dilute, etc...  Look for
a clear urine stream (you don't need to look at it in the bowl, look at it
in the air. Come on, I know you can do it!). If your pee is yellow, you
aren't drinking enough.

>Can you take in too much salt or potassium?

Not when you are doing coninuous strenuous activity. The sodium phobia that
our current culture is engrossed in, is, to a large extent, the result of
being sedintary while having lots of salt in our food. Salt tastes GOOD.
There is a reason for that.

Also, lectrolytes enhance fluid absorbtion in the gut (gastric empying,
actually) if water is sloshing in your stomach, you are not getting enough
salt.

Eat salty stuff till it no longer tastes good. You'll know when to stop. If
salt tastes good to you then you need it.

Have fun.