[pct-l] Re: energy foods/bars

  I followed this recipe and I found that Logan Bread provides what I felt I
needed on my thru hike and I think it tastes great.  The calorie content is
very high and it stays rather fresh for months after making.
	2-3 cups honey + molasses
     4 eggs (optional, include if you want to boost fat content; if you
exclude, substitute 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water to make paste per egg
omitted)
     2 cups vegtable oil
     1 cup melted butter or margarine
     10-15 cups flour stuffs (any combination of white, whole wheat, cornmeal,
soy fluor, etc.)
     dried fruit
     nuts
     2 cups brown sugar
     2 tsp salt
     3 cups milk

Mix all liquid ingredients and eggs (or water and cornstarch if you are not
using eggs). Then mix in dry ingrediants. If batter is to wet (runny) add
more flour stuffs until batter is thick and sticks together very well.
Alternatively, if all the dry ingrediants do not mix in, add more liquids,
specifically milk and honey.

Once you have a very thick, tough to stir batter, pour (or rather push) it
into greased baking pans, and bake in an oven at 150-200oF for 1-2 hours.
The idea is to dry the bread out and to get rid of all the moisture,
leaving a dense, hardly-risen bread. It is done when a toothpick or fork,
upon insertion, comes out clean. This is usually just before the bread
starts to really burn. (The corners may burn first, but don't worry about
them--you can just trim them off--let the bread bake some more). The recipe
should yield between 4-5 lbs bread.

The taste of the Logan bread improves with cooling and two days standing.
Also, for the nuts and fruits, you can really add anything you want: try some
nutmeg, cloves, and cinamin spices, chopped apples, vegis (carrots, green
peppers), etc.