Re: [pct-l] Re: Blisters

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Smith <csmith@lib.drury.edu>
Date: Monday, October 12, 1998 12:52 PM

:I wear heavy boots (Redwings, hightop, all leather, rubber lug sole, eyelet
:and hook design), but don't usually hike very fast.  (and that's more from
:preference than from the weight of the boots.)  This summer in the Wind
:Rivers I got a small blister on top of one toe on my right foot which was
:caused by an extremely steep downhill trail and an ill-fitting sock.  A
:change of socks, a bandaid over the blister, and I was fine.  I haven't had
:many blisters in 29 years of backpacking, dayhikes, etc., but when I have,
:it has been because of poor fit of boots or socks.

Yep, socks can definitely cause problems. I still wear two pairs, thin
"liners" and thicker (at least at the beginning of a hike!) wool socks. I
turn the "liners" inside out, so that the little ridge (seam from sock
sewing) just above the toe isn't right against my toes. That seems to help,
too.

Karen