Re: [pct-l] Re: Blisters

Karen asked,

>:I just spent a week hiking the Lost Coast Trail (blister
>:beach) and the upper King's Range, and I'm here to tell you, that that
West Point study hyped on CNN which said that people who put deodorant on
their feet will get far fewer blisters...is all wet (it didn't do much for
their smell either). Anyway, I'm convinced, after 25 years of backpacking,
that there's NO 100% preventative measure for blisters.

Karen is right.  There is not a 100% perfect preventative measure for
blisters.  BUT.... there are many things that each person can do to reduce
the threat of blisters.  Shoes or boots, socks, insoles, lubricants,
powders, orthotics, taping, laces, each contributes to blister prevention.
The trick is to find what works for you.  Too many hikers plan for
everything but their feet.  Educate yourself before hiking, carry a good
blister first aid kit, and take preventive measures.  That also means
knowing different ways to fix blisters. You can hike with happy and healthy
feet.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
author: FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers
web site: http://www.footworkpub.com (check out the book here)