RE: [pct-l] The Wonderland Trail

The policies may have changed since I did it several years ago, but we were
able to get our permits the first morning.  They did wanted to only give us
permits for the first leg in case we bailed.  Don't let them talk you into
this, get them for the whole trip, they may not be available down the trail.

> 2.We are planning to do 16 to 17 mile per day, is this a resonable
> amount of milage?  We've heard
>     its a tough trail and some have suggested lower milage. On most of
> our other hikes (inOregon)
>     we average  around 15 to 16 miles and we have found this to be a
> comfortable  pace.

It is a very demanding trail.  Up a ridge, down to a river, up a ridge...
all the way around.  If you were to do it in 6 days, that would be 15.5 mile
a day and you will gain and lose an average of 4300' each day.  Most people
do it in 10-14 days.  We did it in 11, but had a few half days thrown in to
rest and explore.  If I were to do it again, I'd probably take 8-9 days.
Too much to see and enjoy to do it justice in only 6 days.

> 3. Are bears a problem?  Do we need to hang our food or do they have
> bear boxes?

No bear boxes.  Bears aren't really a problem that I've heard of.  They're
very scarce.

http://www.hack.net/lists *