[pct-l] BB 101 - 3 cr Intro to Bear Bagging C. Giffen

Though I usually didn't bearbag, sometimes I would do it "for fun".  After
days on end of hiking by yourself, you start looking for ways to entertain
yourself, bearbagging was one of them.  The following method requires the
most skill, time, and determination:

Hook a couple carabiners to about 200 feet of nylon shock cord rope.  Stand
on the edge of a small cliff or large boulder about 10-15 feet off the
ground, with enough of a "cliff" so you can swing the rope in a vertical
motion.  Coil the rope up in a circle on the ground for fast unwinding.
Starting swinging the rope/carabiners in a vertical motion...slowly letting
out more line until your "swinging carabiners of death" are swinging in a
15 foot vertical radius at blinding speed (So fast that the rope and
carabiners become invisible).  As the carabiners are starting their upswing
(this is where timing comes in), let the whole works go.  The carabiners
will rocket up into the tree.  If carabiners get caught on the way down,
then you have more challenges ahead of you.  Tie your food and pull the
whole works up.  My record was about 90 feet, it looked pretty impressive.

For tying off, I would walk up a hill and wrap the cord around a tree, then
walk back down the hill in a circle so the rope essentially "ties off" 20
feet above the ground, you can wind the slack around the base of the
tree...so the bear won't have any rope to tug on directly unless he/she
climbs the "tie off" tree.

I've long since preached this opinion of mine, the main reason for
bearbagging is to keep you away from your own food.  This decreases the
chances for a midnight candy bar, etc.

Whew,
Craig Giffen

DISCLAIMER:  This is only my opinion, I'm not responsible for injury, loss
of life or limb using this method.