[pct-l] fwd: BOUNCE: pct-l-digest V1 #503

From owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net Sun May 31 19:57:44 1998
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 19:57:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 20:56:36 -0400
From: "J.L. (PETE)  FISH" <pickaxepete@compuserve.com>
Subject: pct-l-digest V1 #503

Regarding Anaktuvak Pass and the Brooks Range be prepared to get by on yo=
ur
own when the weather socks in, planes don't fly, and your plans go to hel=
in a handbasket.  You could well end up having to charter a bush plane to=

get out especially if an emergency arises.  Do be prepared for cold, snow=
,
and wind anytime. =

I worked in this area as a geologist in the late 50's and again in the
70's.  I doubt if the weather and logistical snafus have changed that muc=
h.
  In that era we carried rifles for bear protection which were probably =

lighter than the 'brownie sized' pepper spray containers used later, and,=

were more useful in a survival type situation which occurs now and then.

You might consider getting in touch with one of the guide services.  One =
of
our PCT trail volunteers currently guides in this area in the summer and
could be a resource for you.  Let me know if you wish to contact him.

Pete Fish