[pct-l] Mag lite, shoes

J. Thoreson wrote:
>>I have two questions:  the first is how many batteries to put in
my resupply boxes?  I'm using a Solitare Mag Lite (the single AAA) and
plan on doing some night hiking.  Would one battery for every three days
be best, one for every five days, etc.?  The second question concerns
how many pairs of running shoes would work?  Will four pairs be enough for
the whole trail, or would I be much wiser going with five pairs?  <<

I used this same flashlight on the '96 thru-hike.  I started with two extra
batteries in my ditty bag, and packed one battery in each of my resupply
parcels (average resupply was every 4 days).  For longer stretches I packed
2 batteries.  I ended up with lots of spare batteries, however.  I used my
flashlight for night hiking only occasionally.  The best value are the
Ray-o-vac brand in the package of 10 (about 50 cents each at K-Mart).

Actually, you should also carry at least 4 spare bulbs.  Mine kept on
burning out for some reason!  The bulbs are available in most places where
the flashlights are sold.

As for shoes, my advice is to not purchase any additional shoes yet. Keep
the toll-free number for Road Runner Sports with you.  When your shoes start
to wear out, call RRS and have them ship your next pair to a post office up
ahead.  On the trail you may decide to switch to a different type of shoe,
and more importantly, a different size!  The only risk is that the shoes you
order won't fit right when you try them on.  In that case, mail them back
and order another pair for the next stop.  RRS now ships their parcels
Priority Mail, so it takes only 2 or 3 days to reach the POs.  Regardless,
plan on 500 miles max for a decent pair of shoes.  The shoe I like at the
moment is the Saucony Jazz 3000, especially for northern Cal and Oregon.
The mesh above the toes is a tighter weave which will help keep the dirt
from getting into your feet.  The tread is pretty agressive and it has slip
lasting for more comfort.

Roger Carpenter