[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #475

At 12:00 AM 5/7/98 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
>whatever comments you feel are appropriate (IF YOU MAKE YOUR ADDITIONAL
>COMMENTS IN CAPS, I WILL BE SURE TO SPOT THEM <g>).
>
>For example, the survey question might look like:
>
>I always carry < ? > hiking sticks/poles: < no   one   two   more >
>
>My own answer on the returned survey might look something like:
>
>I always carry < ? > hiking sticks/poles:  < one >
>     I SOMETIMES HUNT UP ANOTHER ONE WHEN I AM FORDING A BAD CREEK
>
>"BP" = BEFORE reading the series of 15 LNT postings
>"AP" = AFTER reading the series of 15 LNT postings
>
>If anyone wants copies of any/all of the 15 LNT postings, just send me a
>private email...it is absolutely no problem to send them out.
>
>"Open-ended" questions are at the end of the survey.
>
>Thanks a LOT for giving up a few minutes of good hiking time to do the LNT
>survey!
>
>Trace No Leaves,
>
>- - Charlie II
>
>- --------------< LNT survey follows >-----------------
>
>Please do NOT send the survey to the list.  Just hit the "Reply To" button
>and send it back to me via private email.
>
>On some email software, using the "redirect" instead of the "reply" button
>will allow a return without all the added quote marks (">") causing
>unwanted line-wrapping and generally getting in the way.
>
>Thanks!
>
>1) I am < ? >:             female >
>
>2) I am < ? > years old:    46-65
>
>3) I have < ? > miles of backpacking under my belt:< give est. total >50
>
>4) I am a < ? > hiker:<local/"short"   section  thru >
>
>5) I have used < ? > blocks of time on my longest hike(s):
>
>      < weekend
>
>6) I usually prefer to hike < ? >:      w/partner
>
>7) I usually prefer to hike < ? >:        without dog >
>
>8) I < ? > help with "organized" trail/campsite/shelter maintenance:
>
>                      sometimes
>
>9) My highest level of education (degree) is < ? >:
>
>             undergrad
>
>10) I read < ? > of the set of 15 LNT postings:   most
>- ---
>11) BP, I knew < ? > about LNT:   < zero    little    some    much >
>
>12) AP, I know < ? > about LNT:     some
>- ---
>13) BP, I felt that the LNT effort was < ? >:
>
>              critical >
>
>14) AP, I feel that the LNT effort is < ? >:
>
>             critical >
>- ---
>15) BP, I knew < ? > about the ways I can do damage (4 C's) in the
>    backcountry:               some
>
>16) AP, I know < ? > about the ways I can do damage (4 C's) in the
>    backcountry:              much >
>- ---
>17) BP, I knew < ? > about the reasons I might not want to do damage:
>
>                              much >
>
>18) AP, I know < ? > about the reasons I might not want to do damage:
>
>                              much >
>- ---
>19) BP, I felt that it was < ? > to *NOT* damage our backcountry:

    fairly important

>20) AP, I feel that it is < ? > to *NOT* damage our backcountry:
>
><  fairly important
>- ---
>21) BP, I < ? > used "catholes" instead of leaving feces on surface:
>
>           always  >
>
>22) AP, I will <?> use "catholes" instead of leaving feces on surface:
>
>          always  >
>- ---
>23) BP, I usually disposed of my used toilet paper by < ? >:
>
>      pack out     burn
>
>24) AP, I plan to usually dispose of my used toilet paper by < ? >:
>
>    burn
>- ---
>25) BP, I was willing to build a legal campfire < ? >:
>
>           much of the time
>
>26) AP, I will be willing to build a legal campfire < ? >:
>
>          much of the time
>- ---
>27) BP, I < ? > considered potential damage when thinking about making
>    a campfire:      rarely
>
>28) AP, I < ? > will consider potential damage when I think about
>    making a campfire:
>
>           much of the time
>- ---
>29) BP, I felt it was < ? > important to leave "wild" items in place:
>
>            much of the time
>
>30) AP, I feel it is < ? > important to leave "wild" items in place:
>
>             much of the time
>- ---
>31) BP, I < ? > considered LNT issues when planning a backcountry
>    trip:      rarely
>
>32) AP, I will < ? > consider LNT issues when planning a backcountry
>    trip:        much of the time
>
>*<Just do a "CR>" after the following questions to add your comments>*
>
>33) Please list any parts of the 15 LNT postings that struck you as
>    being particularly effective in getting the LNT message across
>    (what worked?):
sensitive, middle of the road approach, always best with most people

>34) Please list any parts of the 15 LNT postings that seemed to get
>    in the way of getting the LNT message across (what didn't work?):
>
>35) Please list any important parts of the LNT message that seemed to
>    get left out (or given short shrift!):
>
>36) Please list any parts of the LNT message that you think are wrong
>    (or at least need to be explained/proven much better):everything that
is taken to an "extreme" outside limit

>37) Please list any LNT related questions that you would like to see
>    researched further (I will try to find someone to get busy!):
>
>38) Please list any minimum-impact backcountry use "systems" (other
>    than LNT) that you have become familiar with over the years (I
>    want to learn from them!):
>
>39) Please list any organizations that you belong to that could be
>    effective in helping to spread the LNT message to its members
>    (perhaps we can help them a little <g>):
>
>40) List any internet "forums/sites/lists" that you might be aware of
>    that could be effective in helping to spread the LNT message
>    (maybe we can "make it so"!):
>- ---
>Hooboy..use the "rest" of the space for any/all comments about anything
>else <g>..THANKS!I am not a fan of ANYTHING that is an extreme action
and/or optinion...I do NOT believe in LNT totally and completely because to
go to that extreme is taking away from your faith of nature and other forces
beside people kind, i.e., we (people) are the best, most, and end-all of all
existence.  I believe in other forces of nature than just people, i.e., I
have faith in other powers than just people power.  I believe in common
sense, awareness, knowledge, fairness, responsibility and knowing your place
in this life.  I do not get totally behind anything that goes to either
extreme: to leave personal garbage in the out-of-doors is wrong, so is,
saying you have all the answers to all the questions at all times, is wrong.
Thanks for listening. JoAnn

http://www.hack.net/lists *