Re: [pct-l] Fire Rules - alpine especially

At 08:54 AM 3/26/98 PST, Charcholla wrote:
>In a message dated 98-03-26 10:04:27 EST, csmith@lib.drury.edu writes:
[snip]
><<But I also agree with Dave G. that inappropriate rules/laws do exist and
>should be "beaten" until they reflect real-life situations that center around
>applications of justice. ... But to support the idea of civil disobedience
[snip]

>Sorry Craig (and Dave), IMHO, civil disobedience steps "over the line." While
>this regulation is in place, all of us as good citizens (and responsible
>campers/hikers) should abide by the regulation while we are in those areas
>named in the regulation.

I've always thought of civil disobedience as a public act.  In my book,
having a fire in a no fire zone is not an act of civil disobedience.  On
the other hand, lighting a fire in the direct presence of a ranger would
be.  Cheating on your taxes is not an act of civil disobedience, but giving
the money to charity and sending a letter to the IRS saying what you did is.

Somehow I can't imagine many people deliberately going to jail over the
right to use a Zip stove.

-- Jim Mayer