[pct-l] Thoughts on gear?

>Getting serious about gear for PCT 2006, here is what I'm looking at right now, any >recommendations?
All suggestions are IMHO, YMMV, HYOH, and any/all other similar such disclaimers!  ; )

Good pack, but some complain of lack of outside (mesh) pocket space - easy access to water bottles, fuel bottle, windshirt, daily supplies, etc.  Also look at the new packs from ULA http://www.ula-equipment.com/ (Brian's designs getting better all the time!) and Six Moon Designs http://www.sixmoondesigns.com (Ron's new design looks great - very positive comments from those that saw it at ALDAW)...

>  MontBell UL Down Inner Jacket, 7.4 oz - $129
Looks good...  it's between that or the Western Mountaineering "Flight Jacket"...

>  GoLite Wisp Wind Shirt, 2.5 oz  - $70
>  OR
>  Montane Featherlite jacket, 3.5 oz - $60
I already have a Montane "Aero" windshirt (note: Montane clothing is cut 'small' - buy one size larger than you usually would!), 3.2 oz., but will probably use my Marmot DriClime Windshirt instead, a 'heavy' 13 oz., but it is also an 'insulating' layer - about equal to 100 wt. fleece...

>  Western Mountaineering 20 deg. Ultralite down bag, 1 lb, 9 oz - $300
>  OR
>  Marmot Womens Helium 15 deg. down bag, 1 lb, 10 oz - $288
>  (Hey, its cheaper and lighter than the mens!)
Caution: womens bags are sized for...  women! - not men!  Varies by mfr., but always smaller girth at the shoulders, and possibly larger girth at hips, smaller girth at the feet, and slightly shorter length than mens 'cuts'...  so look at the dimensions very closely!  I like a slightly more 'roomier' bag - so my first choice is either a Western Mountaineering "Alpinlite" (20 deg.) or, most likely, the "Megalite" (30 deg.) since I'm a 'warm' sleeper...  I already have a Megalite, but I will probably buy a new one prior to a thru-hike (or at least add some down to it since it has lost a little loft over the years)...

>  All at backcountrygear.com with free shipping
Great 'store' - quick service and I have never had ANY kind of problem in dealing with them...  they are always on my 'highly recommended' list...

>  Terramar silk long underwear, tops and bottoms, 3.4 oz ea., $20 ea.
>
>  campmor.com
I use silk longs for sleeping only - adds a little warmth, if needed, and helps keep the bag clean inside...  I also have a dedicated pair of sleep socks...  and use a balaclava (1.5 oz.) and/or Liphe hat for my hair-impaired dome...  For leg base layer, I use Patagonia running tights; for arms/torso, either a LW or MW synthetic or merino wool (for me, on multi-day trips, the merino wool won't smell as bad as most synthetics)...

>  Virga II Tarptent shipped today!
I gave my much loved Squall to my son since I planned on getting the Virga II...  But Henry has a new design (the Rainbow) that looks great for my needs - so I'm not certain what I will get for a 'tent'...  I also have a 7' x 9' Cat tarp (Oware http://www.owareusa.com/) that would get used in NorCal and OR, and possibly in SoCal (and maybe even more depending on weather forecasts along the trail)...

>  Thanks for any advice,
>
>  Vic
>  Spending my retirement savings
Yes, me too...  Yet, someday, I also hope to spend about half of my 'retired' time on the PCT each year...

Happy trails!!!  And have fun with the gear selection process - and whatever you get, if you're happy with it - that's all that really matters!...