[pct-l] Search for a Shadow of the Past

Perhaps this historical resource has already been mentioned here, but
it just came to me today in my capacity as an arm chair thruhiker.  I
thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.searchforashadowofthepast.com/

It's significance is best explained by the following message from the
blog of Oregonian reporter Mark Larabee, who hiked part of the trail
this summer and wrote about it.  For those who prefer a link to a cut
and paste and want to scroll and scroll to find this message hidden
deep in Larabee's blog:

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/pacifictrail/

Bernadette Murray-Macioce writes:
I am a member of the Murray family who pioneered the PCT on horseback
in 1969-1970 (LIFE magazine 9/3/72). My father, Barry Murray, lead
us, along with my mother, Bernice. I was 10, my sister, Colette, was
8 and my brother Barry Jr., was 12. My father, who is a writer and
photographer, has an e-book on line about our pack trip at
www.searchforashadowofthepast.com/. When we first began, there was no
designated beginning point. My father asked around Campo about
historical points at the border, and was directed to the old customs
house. At the time it stood, worse for the wear, but still with a
roof and four walls. The border was a three-strand barbed wire fence
that we crawled through to get to the Customs House. Today, as you
are aware, the border is a tall metal fence, and the customs house is
a bit of foundation that is barely discernable. I went to the
southern terminus with my father a few years ago, and was amazed at
the change -- the monument, the wall, the numerous border patrol, but
most astonishing was the number of hikers. When we began, there were
many people who were not happy about us crossing their land, and made
things most difficult. We were met with shot guns and waving fists. I
believe that by traveling the trail on horseback, it allowed us to
carry things we needed to build trail as we went (which we did a lot
of), and to be more imposing with characters who were aggressive.
Much of the trail was a designated" dotted line on a map. Whole parts
did not exist. It was a group of old trails, such as the California
Riding and Hiking Trail, strung together with intended land
acquisitions, and future plans. Over the years, the PCT has been
developed into an international treasure. I was very saddened by your
article regarding funding. To me it feels as though something I
helped to breath life into is facing a life threatening time. Last
fall, my family attended the American Long Distance Hikers
Association's annual western conference. It was held near Donner
Pass, and drew quite a crowd. A friend of ours, Dave Odell, was
speaking. He was the first to hike the PCT. He hiked it with a small
group in 1971. Dave was also the first triple crown, hiking all three
cross continent trails. I was amazed at how many triple crowns there
were there in attendance. With all the interest in hiking, I can not
imagine that there has not been more of a public outcry. I applaud
your effort, and thank you for shining a light on the issue. I wish
you well, be safe, and if you would like a care package of home made
cookies, send me your food drop addresses.