[pct-l] Long Sleeves and Pants

I hiked the whole trail in 2004 wearing Ex Officio pants and long sleeve shirt.  I didn't see the Buzz Off stuff, so had the normal version.

I loved them.  The shirt went the entire way.  The pants got a small rip that I repaired on the trail, so I replaced them when I was at REI in portland.

I found them to be cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold.

As for being presentable in town...I had the white shirt.  Which quickly became the brown-grey shirt.  With large lines down the shoulders and around the waist from the shoulder straps and waist belt.  When I got to a road for a hitch, I would put on my black night shirt, which looked quite presentable.  If I wore my hiking shirt, I'd never get a hitch.

Wayne Kraft <wayneskraft@comcast.net> wrote:
Late last summer I was ambling along the west slope of Mt. Hood
through aptly named Paradise Park when I spied coming toward me along
the mountain ash lined trail an incredibly fit looking couple about
my age (50's). They were attired head-to-toe in matching tan outfits
including long pants, long sleeve shirts and tilley hats with their
hiking shoes neatly protected by matching gaiters. I glanced down at
myself, noting my sweat stained t-shirt and well worn shorts, my bug
bitten limbs, my brush scratched legs with the trickle of blood
running down my shin and pooling at the top of my socks and then
examined more closely the couple coming toward me. I had to admit
they looked simply smashing. We exchanged weather-related inanities,
after which they loped gracefully away at 3.2 mph and I scuttled off
to find two trees suitable for hammocking. I knew they would make it
to Timberline Lodge for dinner where they would be perfectly
presentable dining room patrons in their snazzy hiking clothes and
would doubtless feast on lightly poached salmon, nicely steamed and
seasoned fresh vegetables accompanied by an estimable bottle of
chilled and flinty-dry chardonnay while I reconstituted my portion of
powdered gruel. Of course, they would not experience a glorious
sunset and sit quietly while darkness settled over the meadow. They
would not be rocked gently to sleep by a warm summer breeze. They
would not awaken with the small herd of deer who had shared the
meadow this night. Would I trade places with them for all the tea
in Cathay? Indeed not! But I might be persuaded to trade clothes.

So, this encounter was brought to mind this evening as I wandered
through the local REI store and spied the very garments I had coveted
this summer. Ex Officio Buzz Off Pants and matching long sleeved
shirt. Protection from mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, midges, no-see-
ums, ants and other annoying and potentially threatening insects
including those that may carry West Nile virus, Lyme Disease,
Encephalitis, Dengue Fever, Yellow Fever and Malaria plus 30 UPF sun
protection. Sounds almost reckless to go out of doors without such
garment. Hmmm. I'm wondering:

1. What do you all think of hiking in grown -up clothes: very light
weight long sleeve shirts and pants?

2. Has anyone an opinion on the Ex Officio wares or recommendations
for other brands?

Thank you all.

Wayne Kraft