[pct-l] Stimulating Discussion - funniest moment

1) Funniest occurence on the trail:

In 1994 I was hiking north from Ashland and got to the point above
Timberline Lodge that you drop down what was then a dirt road, which is
now paved.  The ski lifts were working and filled with boarders and
skiiers heading up to the snow.  There were lots and lots of people
walking up and down from the lodge to the upper lift.

This was before I saw the light and went as lightweight as I could.  I
was wearing a Jansport D-3 and carrying a base weight of probably 25
pounds.  I'd abandoned my merrill leather boots before crater lake and
had some NB 580s shipped to me at Diamond Lake.  With 5 days of food and
a quart or two of water my pack weighed at least 40 pounds.

Running shoes and a 40 pound pack don't mix for me.  I'd fall off an
inch high rock at least once a day, choosing to fall down rather than
sprain my ankle.  I remember falling near pinhead butte with a full pack
and finding myself splayed out on the trail unable to move.  I was hot,
tired, thirsty and no matter how much I pushed and pulled and twisted I
couldn't turn over and get up.  I remember lying there and just crying.
I finally undid the waist belt and slid out of the shoulder straps.

At any rate, I was feeling pretty high, an empty pack, walking amidst
citizens about 10 in the morning having spent the night at one of the
twin lakes to the south.  Suddenly, I found myself falling off a small
rock from my right foot and going down.  By that time I was able to slow
my consciousness down well enough to make sure I wasn't just going to
fall like a tree and do all sorts of bodily damage to myself.

While in mid-air I rolled onto my right shoulder just before hitting the
ground.  I continued to roll and actually rolled right back up onto my
feet.  I was so amazed at myself, that I was able to actually do an
almost acrobatic act!

I continued to walk as if nothing had happened - I was amongst citizens
after all - and checked through peripheral vision if anyone had seen me
fall.  I took about five steps and felt really good about myself that no
one had seemed to have noticed my inability to walk.

As I walked, a guy in one of those tracked snow-cats came by and with
the most horrible of knowing looks, the one I dreaded, curled his lip
with humor and said, "Nice recovery."  So droll, so much unsaid.  I
stopped.  I felt like a rat in a room with the light on and no exit.  I
shouted over the engine, "Thanks!" and watched him drive down the road
at three mph.  He tipped his head and saluted as he drove away.

I watched him for 15 seconds or so before continuing down to the Lodge
and my resupply.  I still felt pretty good that I'd recovered like
that.  I also marked the experience as one I would likely never forget.

Jeffrey Olson "Jeff, Just Jeff"
Martin, SD