[pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 29, Issue 33

Gotta chime in on the poop-free thread

On Friday, September 30, 2005, at 10:07  AM,
pct-l-request@mailman.backcountry.net wrote:

> And I have always thought it non-sensical the notion that we have to
> be so concious of LNT (and rightfully so), but that no one picks up
> after their horses, or at least scoops it off the trails.  The stink,
> the flies, the tiptoe dance we do to avoid the land mines are all
> annoying enough, but what may bother me the most is when I see horse
> poop in a dusty section, I wonder how much of that dust I'm breathing
> is actually dried and pulverized poop.  Yuk.

July 26, section J, mile 1083.5, a saddle just east and above Showers
Lake. My first night on the trail. Knowing mosquitos would be in full
hunt mode, and desiring to camp high and dry, and as it was just before
sunset, I decided to bivouac in the saddle, rather than look for an
empty flat spot down by the lake in the dark, pursued by clouds of
bloodsuckers. I covered the entire level area of the saddle, looking
for a spot that wasn't padded with road apples. I finally picked up a
downed branch and cleared one. Yeah, I left a trace. I wasn't about to
cover my tent spot with a 50/50 mix of pinecones and horseshit.

Yeah, how much pucky dust was I breathing all night?

Mo Jo