[pct-l] Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad

I have used the BA I Air Core pad on most of the 1600 miles of the PCT that I have hiked over 2 years.  And my biggest critique of the pad is that it does LEAK ---- The first time it leaked and my patch was insufficient BA replaced it with me only paying shipping.  It now has a very slow leak again so I need to blow it up usually twice a night.  It is a very comfortable pad but makes the bag a little constrained when zipped up all the way ....... but if it leaks it becomes worthless.  I pack with a G5 and use the closed cell pad and a ground cloth to help protect the pad.  I too have some sleep issues and have yet to find a perfect solution on the trail.

Shutterbugg

Singewald <singewald@earthlink.net> wrote:
I am interested in hearing from folks that have used the Big Agnes Insulated
Air Core pads on a PCT thru-hike. Specifically, I am interested in the
durability factor and whether it was durable enough to hold up in Southern
California. I am willing to carry a slightly heavier pad than what most of
you find adequate on the trail as I don't typically do well with the thin
closed cell pads. However, I am a bit concerned with the durability factor
of the BA air-core pad. A company rep shared with me that there were a
number of PCT hikers that have carried these on thru-hikes in the past
couple of years so I will hopefully hear from some. The gear testers on
backpackgeartest.org do not address the durability issue of the long term
sufficiently to give me the level of comfort I would like. Looking forward
to hearing the opinions of those that have used these on their thru-hike or
long section hikes.

I am hoping for a truly spiritual sleeping experience!

Jeff Singewald

Preparing for PCT06